A LOOK AT OUR HISTORY...
1901 - a group of lay people, Louis Marrone, Samuel France, Nick Lisiosi and Mr. Priore, petitioned the bishop to send a priest to minister to Italian immigrants. Father Giovanni Po arrives and the first Mass is celebrated in the Marrone barn on Clark Street in Garfield.
1903 - after almost two years with the assistance of Fr. Po and Fr. Fabrizio and the use of the Marrone barn and Fusco Butcher Shop as a temporary church, Father Alfonso D'Angelo was appointed pastor and our parish received its name.
1911 - three Pallotine Sisters came to Mt. Virgin to conduct a nursery school.
1907 - the first church building was opened - "the basement church"
1927 - the new church was dedicated on November 27th.
1930 - Father D'Angelo leaves and Father Joseph A. Dooling became the second pastor.
1935 - Fr. Charles Casserly is ordained and joins the staff as a curate and begins a 31 years history as curate, administrator and pastor.
1937 - The Religious Teachers Filippini arrive to minister at our parish.
1940 - On February 5th, the first church burns and Fr. Dooling rallies the people to rebuild. The newly-rebuilt church is rededicated on November 24th by Archbishop Thomas Walsh.
1940 - On November 10th the first issue of the Parish Review is published.
1946 - Fr. Joseph Dooling leaves Mt. Virgin. Fr. Charles Casserly become the third pastor.
1951 - Our Lady of Mt. Virgin School opens and the parish celebrates its 50th anniversary.
1952 - the TAMS was formed.
1957 - on May 19th the new organ is dedicated; on June 23rd the first 8th grade graduation takes place.
1966 - Father Casserly leaves and Fr. Sylvester Livolsi becomes the fourth pastor.
1972 - Father Livolsi leaves and Father Joseph Cevetello becomes the fifth pastor.
1976 - the parish celebrates its 75th anniversary.
1979 - Father Cevetello retires and Father Henry Naddeo becomes the sixth pastor.
1992 - emergence of the co-sponsored school replaces Mt. Virgin, Most Holy Name and Our Lady of Sorrows Schools in Garfield
1994 - Father Naddeo leaves and Father Paul Bochicchio becomes the seventh pastor.
2001 - Father Bochicchio names "Prelate of Honor" with the title of Monsignor and the parish celebrates its 100th anniversary.
2004 - Monsignor Paul is assigned to another Parish and Father Peter Palmisano becomes the 8th Pastor.